Tuesday 8 November 2011

Although my main project at the moment is completing the illustrations for my second picture book, I have also been working on a pencil sketch portrait. While I do enjoy the flexibility and vibrant colours that are possible with pastels, I am especially fond of the texture that drawing in pencil creates. The portrait is not from one of my own photographs - I came across it on the internet - so I'm just using it for practice. Every time I sit down to work on it, I think 'There's only a little bit more to do, surely I can finish it today.' but as I progress I realise that it will take more time than I first thought.  That's one of the problems of being a perfectionist.

Anyway, pencils are probably my favourite medium for artwork -take a look at the ways other people have explored alternative uses for this humble tool.

 Check out the incredible pencil carving that Dalton Ghetti creates. It will blow your mind!

 This amazing artwort is by Jennifer Maestre.


 These pencils are carved by Mizuta Tasogare and Kato Jado.

The amazing possibilities of the creative mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment