Saturday 28 April 2012

This is one of the illustrations that I've been working on for some time. I had a lot of trouble with the facial features - I've lost count of how many times it's had to be fixed.



















I thought I was getting very close to finishing the picture earlier this week. When I compared the drawing to others from the story though, it was obvious that the child's age in this image (on the left) was too old to fit in with the rest of the illustrations. So I had to start again.

After numerous unsuccessful attempts, I finally came up with a version that I'm happy with. The photos here are not the best quality - I need to scan them properly - but you can sort of see the difference between the two illustrations. They are actually the same basic picture, I've just reworked the face and torso/legs. In the picture on the right, the child looks younger and fits in much better with the rest of the illustrations.

Now I have just one more illustration to finish and then I'll be done. The text still needs work, but its feeling much better than a few weeks ago. I can see where the story is going and that is such a relief! For so long the words refused to be written and that was very uncomfortable. Soon it will be time to pass the text on to the manuscript assessor for her to help craft the story.

On a totally different note; today is Nelle Harper Lee's 86th birthday. The name may be a little confusing, as she is more commonly known as simply Harper Lee. In 1960 her novel To Kill A Mockingbird was  published and I read it for the first time when I was about fifteen. Over the last ten years I've read it four times and it has become my favourite novel.

The characters who appear in Mockingbird are real and powerful - I never tire of submersing myself in their world and reading about their adventures. So, Happy Birthday Nelle!!

                                (Photo: Birmingham News)

No comments:

Post a Comment