Sunday 4 September 2011

Writing Advice

I came across this piece of advice for aspiring authors by Laurie Halse Anderson a few years ago, and just dug it out of my drawer yesterday. I appreciate these points and can relate to many of them!

1. Learn to live frugally and don't get into debt.
2. Write what you want, not what you think "the market" wants.
3. Turn off the television.
4. Don't major in Creative Writing in college. Chances are it will drain the life out of your creativity.
5. Never, ever criticize yourself during the first draft.
6. Have the courage to revise your work.
7. Read every night before you go to sleep.
8. Do not pressure yourself by saying "I have to get this published by the time I am 20 (or 30, or 40, or 80, etc.).
9. Write the story in your heart.
10. Pay attention to William Faulkner's wise words. He said, "Don't be 'a writer'. Be writing."


1 comment:

  1. This is great! Unfortunately, I have to say I agree with the studying creative writing thing, although it seems to work for some people. I personally found that my university's creative writing programme was geared towards a certain type of writing and if you didn't fit they'd try and bend you. They were good teachers in many ways but that kind of thing does mess up all your creative instincts.

    Allie xo

    ReplyDelete