Saturday 4 February 2012

Those last two illustrations are proving to be very difficult. I've written out the text, and although it still needs changing and editing, I know the general direction of the story. But trying to finish the final pictures is hard. It's not that the process of drawing is the problem - it's figuring out how the illustration is going to look in the first place.
 The way I've worked with all the previous pictures, has been to find a photo that I want to use as a reference, then edit or crop the image until I'm happy with the composition and then start on drawing the illustration. I'm not good at working from my imagination - that's why it has been so wonderful for me to have access to a variety of family photos.

Sometimes I get to the point where I'm itching to start drawing but don't know what to produce when I sit down at the desk. That feeling was creeping up on me the other day.  I desperately wanted to play around with my pastels to create something, but still didn't know how to tackle those final illustrations. I was given a new set of pastels for Christmas and the bright new colours were tempting me to try them out.

Before I started I knew that it needed to be a quick drawing, full of colour and movement. Sketching a pain-stakingly detailed pencil portrait was just not going to work on this occassion. I found a photo in one of my DK children's books and clipped it onto my desk. It took me about three and a half hours spread over two or three days to complete the picture - for me that is fast!


When I look at this picture, I see all the places that aren't quite finished or could have been done better - but it captures the vibrancy and colour that I was after, so I'm pleased with it.Don't know if it will help me to attack those last remain illustrations though...

No comments:

Post a Comment